Re: Tivo, Fair Use, Video-in-the-Cloud, and Vidster

From: Karl Anderson (kra@monkey.org)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 14:45:24 PDT

Eirikur Hallgrimsson <eh@mad.scientist.com> writes:

> I don't think you have to go deaf. Off the shelf, the Apple cube is very
> quiet. Any sufficiently standard generic PC can be tweaked by reducing the
> fan speeds, opting for modern, quieter, IDE drives, and spinning the drive
> down (hdparm on Linux, there are Windows and Mac equivalents) when it's not
> in use.

I haven't found any modern drive to be quiet enough. I buy IBM
Deskstars. It's not just the decibels, it's the frequency.

I also haven't found a way to reliably keep a drive spun down all
night, have you? I've never done anything fancy like mount /tmp on a
ramdisk, though. Anyone know of a disk usage auditing system for
linux that'll tell you what part of the fs is being accessed at what
time?

> If you don't need mega-performance in your bedside machine, you can use
> socket-7 Pentiums with just convection cooling, aided by the PS fan. I used
> to run a DEC Multia that way as my gateway.

My celeron box just has a case fan pointed towars the cpu that shuts
down when it isn't needed, which is nice.

--
Karl Anderson      kra@monkey.org           http://www.monkey.org/~kra/