[Fwd: Conversion of characters]

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 15:19:29 PDT

As per our previous conversation...Mike Brown wrote:

> Raj wrote:
> > I have a HTML document and I wish to convert a part of it and store it as an
> > XML document. I'm using VB and I find that in a sentence like:
> >
> > <P> This is Will Smith's Wild West Zone </P>
> >
> > the apostrophy ( ' ) is intrepreted and displayed as a Question (?) mark.
> > Is there a way to overcome this problem?
>
> It's probably not an apostrophe but a right single quotation mark, which
> I'm not going to bother to attempt to paste into this ASCII email, since
> it's well outside the ASCII range.
>
> You will probably find it helpful to know that this character's Unicode
> scalar value is 8217 decimal, or 2019 hex. In HTML and XML you could write
> &#8217; or &#x2019; but you may prefer to just replace instances of these
> characters with regular apostrophes (decimal 39 or hex 27).
>
> Your application apparently knows that it is character number 8217, but it
> is unable to represent it in the character map that is being used for your
> output. For example, if you are emitting iso-8859-1 output, there is no
> right single quotation mark in this encoding. Hence the question mark.
>
> - Mike

sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax
Dec2000

attached mail follows:

- Mike _____________________________________________________________________________ mike j. brown, software engineer at | xml/xslt: http://skew.org/xml/ webb.net in denver, colorado, USA | personal: http://hyperreal.org/~mike/