Re: recycled rant from another list

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 18:34:07 PDT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> IF it's impossible to write C code without buffer overruns

  All the good coders learned COBOL, made fortunes, and retired pre-Y2K.
  VB and Java were created so the people that are left could pretend.

> AND if buffer overruns lead to security holes,

  You can pull a buffer overrun in any language, but not on any CPU, but
  it does take real talent to implement an overrun even in ASM.

> THEN why do we run privileged internet-accessible services written in C?

  Because people who design operating systems are forking morons and only
  use one bit (literally the supervisor bit) of the many levels of security
  the hardware has in it, so there isnt a damn thing a programmer can do
  about it other then then run Bill and Linus through with a pike and hope
  someone with a clue replaces them.

Never trust someone who learned to code on a computer with more then 32KB of
RAM.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com