Re: Eli and Brian Update [Fwd: [>Htech] "Friendly AI" released for commentary]

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 23:15:58 PDT

Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> Damn, I guess I'm really going to have to read this thing.
> But my immediate reaction is, what the hell does evolution
> have to do with a sense of self?

How the hell else do you think you got one? What, did you buy yours at Philene's
Basement?

;-)

> We are actually incredibly clueless about the concept of a sense of
> self.

There's one thing we can say definitively about it, assuming you believe in "the real
world" that is: we have one because it's a survival trait.

> I've always felt that if you build something that acts like it has a
> sense of self, then you are morally obligated to *treat* it like has a
> sense of self. Hmm, but then there's the question of, is it possible
> to build something that has a sense of self but has been engineered to
> act like it doesn't? Jeez, what an ethical nightmare.

True. True.

Hey, everybody catching all the guerilla shit for Spielberg's "A.I."?

jb