Re: Mpeg4, was: Re: Coercive Monopolies in Technical Markets (Intro)

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 13:07:52 PDT

"Stephen D. Williams" wrote:

> Whatever Truespeech calls their 150 bytes-per-second coder. I played
> with true parametric speech years 4+ years ago at AOL. You could play
> back voice on the remote end with voice styles like little girl or
> alien.

At some point, you should do nicely with physical modelling of the human
voicebox (pre-parametrized, beam over you voice metrics prior or during
the conversation), and use speech recognition at the other end. It's hard
to see how this coding should use more than a few baud.

Of course, it goes really hard on the DSP crunch. But we've got more than
a decade of straight-lop-plot Moore with photolitho still, or so I heard.