Re: Stick a FoRK in it: Bitzi

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 07:27:23 PDT

Gordon Mohr wrote:
> > Are you going to add more metadata options for this, or what? The
> > current options are pretty limited.
>
> We will continue expanding the tag-types for new file formats
> and expressed user needs -- but initially, we don't want to
> overwhelm people with too many options.

There's only one way to do this now that I would approve of: allow
arbitrary XML tags in the description area. Use an XML/full-text style
indexer that allows people to search for arbitrary tags with synonyms.
Accept certain often used tags as 'standard' for a subcategory and
present them to users as suggested options.

The whole relational style field thing is passe. Dead. Brain damaged.
Morally corrupt.

> We'll also be tweaking the rating system as necessary to promote
> participation, deter gaming, and highlight the most-popular,

Deter gaming? There's got to be a story or interesting fear there.

> most-prevalent, and highest-quality bits.
>
> > How could this enable something like pointers to Crit or What's
> > Related for arbitrary files?
>
> With the existing "comment" and "related URL" tags, you can
> already do these in a rudimentary way. We aim to continually
> improve these facilities.
>
> - Gojomo

> Gordon Mohr - gojomo@bitzi.com
> CTO, Bitzi - http://bitzi.com