Re: A little test of your knowlege of the sendmail config parser

From: Morbus Iff (morbus@disobey.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 10:22:19 PDT

>FoRK-thee: fork@ianbell.com, gus@monkey.org,
> rturpin@clickfeed.com,
># dot@dotat.at,
> rudy@rouhana.com,
>
>What should happen?

You should get an error message saying:

   Apr 26 13:04:05 red sendmail[575]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root):
   /etc/mail/aliases: line 37: Non-continuation line starts with space

This will show up in your mail log. If you go ahead and do it, and then try
to send a mail, the mail will be sent successfully to everyone BEFORE the
#. The main reasoning is that sendmail will try it's best to do what you
wanted, but will stop with an error.

Why does it break? Because sendmail is happily parsing it's alias list and
then sees a comment. A comment, it thinks, is a new rule - I should ignore
this line. Sendmail happily ignores that line but forgets that it was
already reading the other rule of "this is an alias list".

Now, the error message makes it seem like you can add a continuation marker
("\") to the line, like normal shell scripts. In my testing, this didn't work.

For even more fun, you could try something silly like:

   FoRK-thee: fork@ianbell.com, gus@monkey.org,
              rturpin@clickfeed.com, # dot@dotat.at,
              rudy@rouhana.com,

But even that doesn't work because "#" character in an email address.
Sendmail will try to send it to "# dot@dotat.at" as it condenses the extra
spaces into one space.

So, ultimately, what you want to do isn't possible :)

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/
http://www.gamegrene.com/