Re: Lisp, the secret weapon.

From: James Hong (jhong@xmethods.net)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 17:11:21 PDT

Is lisp still taught in undergrad CS programs? I heard that at Berkeley,
they switched the first CS class from using lisp to java. Maybe the reason
viaweb was so fast in execution had nothing to do with being done in Lisp,
but rather it might have been because all the people who knew lisp well
enough also happened to be stellar programmers from MIT.

The problem with using lisp is that regardless of whether it is a "superior
language", it's not efficient to use unless you can hire enough people to
program in it, and that supply is surely limited.

james