[ADMIN] Address hiding in the archives

From: Joseph S Barrera III (joe@barrera.org)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 09:15:15 PDT

Russell Turpin reminded me this morning of the fact that our addresses
are all sitting naked out in the archives, begging for spammers to
collect them. My idea to defeat this is to run a simple transformation
on the archived text, namely putting parenthesis around all at signs, i.e.:

   s/@/(@)/gp

I've done a trial of this (saving the unmodified files elsewhere) on
the January 2001 archives, namely <http://xent.com/2001.01/date.html>.
What do you think? If you folks like it, then I can convert the rest
of the archives, and add something to the hypermail process so that
new posts are transformed as they are archived.

- Joe

--
Joseph S. Barrera III
Software Architect, Kana Communications, Inc.

We know that: Logic is just a clever party trick. And that: Sense-making and efficiency is the object of machines. And that: Order is a simple game played with marbles by children. And that: Clarity is an enema for the time-deprived.

Thus we believe strongly that: Understanding is a sometime thing.