Re: Lisp, the secret weapon.

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 05:04:54 PDT

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> "Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:
> >
> > Also sprach Rodent of Unusual Size:
> > > i colon equals flea tick tick zed tick tick tick eff dollar process
> > > paren paren tick space tick tick cue tick flea
> >
> > DCL, eh?
>
> Indeed. So many people seem ignorant of the truly great
> OS that hosts that shell that I figured I would not even
> mention it.
>
> It would have been maybe #2 in the all-time OS list if it
> had had a) pipes, b) fork(), and c) TCP/IP from the get-go.. :-(

It did have 'spawn', in DCL, and it was terribly slow. I think it first
asked permission from DEC HQ before actually spawning a new process.

Our ancient Perkin-Elmer running Unix System 7 blew the doors off our
11/780.

DCL scripting drove me crazy because I kept needing truly recursive
invocation of shells, etc.

The filesystem typing was awful also. I kept having trouble with their
conversion utility between different text formats.

> --
> #ken P-)}
>
> Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/>
> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>