RE: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: John Hall (johnhall@evergo.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 17:29:59 PDT

>> I have no problem with MS selling licenses. I do have a problem with MS
trying to legislate their competitors away.

I don't see them doing that at all.

>> It's part of a long-standing grumpiness I developed as an economics grad
student... I assume that once you've reached a critical mass, it's easier to
buy a Congressman than it is to innovate.

Even easier to buy a justice department, apparently.

>> Hum... interesting empircal thesis topic. Comparing R&D, lobbying expense
to size and determining if there's a switchpoint.

Actually, America has a long history of 'businessmen' who wanted to compete
primarily through the legislature. Most of the 'robber barrons' got their
bad press from such businessmen. Vanderbilt, for example, was famous for
out-competing a series of government subsidized operations.