Re: Logic & Culture Re: How do you teach fundamental logic to someone that doesn't grok it?

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 19:34:29 PDT

Well, not so much culture, and not really on straightforward *deductive* logic, and certainly not
about teaching logic to high school kids at all.. but... "Metamath."

You guys may have seen this on Slashdot a while back, but it's worth a look if you're into
mathematical logic.* I've burned a ton of wee morning hours lately poking around in this. Even
listened to a bunch of the proofs-as-music... Cool shit.

[1] http://metamath.org/

jb

* also, over the last couple of years, in my quest to go back to "authoritative sources" on several
things, I've spent some time reading Church and Curry. Much, much denser than the "secondary" stuff
I studied back in the day on the same topics --- classes often used books / note packets written by
the instructors, vain fools all. Check out:

[2] _Introduction to Mathematical Logic_ by Alonzo Church
[3] _Foundations of Mathematical Logic_ by Haskell Curry

Also, I've had an out-of-print order / search going on Amazon since Feb. 2000 for either of the
following... If anybody out there has a copy of either you'd like to sell me, lemme know:

[4] _The Calculi of Lambda Conversion_ by Alonzo Church
[5] _Combinatory Logic_ by Haskell Curry.