Re: Manners

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 14:59:07 PDT

> > Couldn't disagree more. In my experience, politeness and soundness of
> > underlying argument are strongly correlated.
> Yeah, but you're from Boston.

Does not compute. I live in Boston now and it seems that both
"soundness of argument" and "politeness" are held in about the same
esteem as, say, a Haitian at the Red Cross Bloodmobile. Courtesy is
flipping someone the bird *before* cutting them off on the highway.

On the other hand, anyone execting to make it though life via the value
placed on "sound argument" is going to have a rough go of it in 97% of
the world.

        JTS