Re: Evolution being slow ...

From: Strata Rose Chalup (
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 18:01:00 PDT

Somewhat outside that spectrum, folks often confuse temporary fitness
with long-term fitness. Many refer to any change which benefits them,
or is in line with their value system, as evolution. Their "evolution"
may be someone else's "devolution".

James Tauber wrote:
> > James, I wondered the same thing -- is this really evolution, but they
> used
> > the word, quite breathlessly. Dave
> Evolution seems to be a *very* overloaded term.
> At one end of the spectrum (the 'micro' end) it can just mean a shift in a
> gene pool's proportions due to some genes favouring survival (ie natural
> selection / survival of the fittest)
> At the other end (the 'macro' end) it can mean the origin of all species
> from primordial soup.
> Completely different things (although the latter relies on the mechanism of
> the former)
> James

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata "@"
VirtualNet Consulting
 ** Project Management & Architecture for ISP/ASP Systems Integration **