Re: [ reactions ] Re: [NYT] Microsoft Is Set to Be Top Foe of Free Code

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 08:29:57 PDT

"Joseph S. Barrera III" wrote:

> Also sprach Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de:
> > I still wish I'd bought a used CP/M box in 1985 instead of the
> > idiot Amstrad CPC-464, and learned programming Forth _properly_.
>
> Hmm. In 1986 I bought an XT clone with 640KB. Even then, a 64KB
> address space limit was pretty restrictive. Why would you go for an
> 8-bit machine in 1985?

My Atari 400 in, about, 1981 served me better than many machines after
it. Certainly, banging away on the membrane keyboard with a full-screen
editor (sort of) and saving to cassette I was still miles ahead of all
those kids in college wasting time on punch cards. I ended up being
president, at 15 or so, of the local Atari Users Group. Silly, but it
got me started.

I also programmed a bit on a IBM PC running DOS 1 (no subdirectories,
64K memory, just BASIC). The local insurance company, in our little
town of 11,000, had an IBM 370 and some mini computers and they
obviously had a very early PC to try it out. I was in a business
'explorers' group as a teenager run by a deaf guy who was a programmer
there. He let me play with it so I could try to write a simple
accounting program.

> - Joe
>
> --
> Joseph S. Barrera III
> Software Architect, Kana Communications, Inc.
> 1.650.219-4557 (cell) / 1.650.588-4801 (home)
> joe@barrera.org / napier@waste.org / joebar@broadbase.com
> www.barrera.org / www.waste.org / www.kana.com
>
> "I didn't know ants could piss."

sdw