Re: Welcome to 'tool' confusion

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 08:40:49 PDT

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote:

> Jeff Bone wrote:
>
> > BTW, determining (for reasonable "up to date" semantics) that something is "up to date" does
> > not, in fact, require byzantine agreement / strict consistency. For almost all decentralized
>
> Those gnomes from Zurch would beg to disagree. For some strange reasons, they want their
> numbers consistent, always.

While there are clearly *some* applications that require strict consistency, the point is that all
apps are *not* created equal, and eventual consistency is a more common requirement than strict
consistency across appspace. That fact tends to be overlooked, but there you have it.

> I think that relying on absolute consistency of cached data kills your performance so
> badly, so that everybody who doesn't have that strange craving, or whoever who doesn't coredump
> all over the floor in case the consistency is sometimes violated will kick your ass in
> terms of long-term fitness.

Well, while the argument has been somewhat byzantine, I think we're in perfect agreement. :-) You
just restated my point pretty well...

jb