Re: It's IBM dummy

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 10:32:25 PDT

Lucas Gonze wrote:

> I've heard from a couple linux users who are trying out OS X in hopes of finally
> reaching the nirvana of un*x with a reasonable level of usability. Actually,

If Apple was smart they would sell their OS software layer to other Unix
systems, like all Linux systems.

> I'm looking forward to hearing their results, because I'd love to have that.
>
> I deal with this problem by running two boxes at the same time -- a win98 box
> that I type on _and_ a headless linux box right next to it, with a telnet
> session at all times and a filesystem mount to share files.

I run Linux on my high-end laptop with Win2000 Pro in VMWare. Easily
handles everything but high-end games (on the win32 side).

I cross mount the boxes and develop with Xemacs/gcc and MS VC++ 6.0 at
the same time, when I have to do Win32 stuff at all. With Cygwin on the
Win2kp side, it works reasonably well.

I can even use my CDPD PCMCIA from Win2Kp.

The only thing that's irritating at the moment is that VMWare doesn't
yet pass-thru DVD virtual drive characteristics. That would allow
playing DVD's with Win32 software. I have a Win32 software-only capable
DVD player that doesn't require specific hardware so it should work
great with the 800Mhz CPU.

> > To adopt a devil's advocate stance here for a minute --- and I'm *not*
> > "interfering," just expressing an opinion (Dave ;-) --- but OS X is
> > the worst of
> > all possible worlds. *Pragmatic* Mac purists can't be happy, because it just
> > screwed their world up tremendously. UNIX geeks can't be happy, because the
> > nonstandard filesystem org screws completely with portability of reams of
> > code... Windows geeks can't be happy because... well... it ain't "True Blue"
> > er, I mean, "True Bill." Opensourcies can't really be happy for a variety of
> > reasons, some overlapping with the UNIX geek problems...

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams