Re: It's IBM dummy

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 18:05:40 PDT

Tom wrote:

> On Tue, 8 May 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
> --]
> --]Once you see strong trends, extrapolation is natural. Of course there
> --]are always many unknowns that make it all interesting.
> --]
>
> Heck yea, its the chase, the kill and the feast thereafter soon to be
> repeated. Its not sitting on your petard but working at the next big
> badabom.
>
> Freenet may pan out to be a great alterantive, it may also turn out to be
> next years pet rock. The real dealio is that messing wiht it now and when
> it was all still infintile is that you get to see and perhaps help it
> grow. Study one flower from seed to dust and you have studied a universe.
>
> I have had my share of head banging aginst the wall of the now. Some were
> good some where bad but I learnt from them all. Ill never forget trying to
> get Prolog used to write a Class Scheduling app back in 1986 or trying to

Bizarre! I (briefly) tried the same thing with Small C (i.e. Deep Blue
C) and Action! on the 8-bit Ataris in about 1983.

> play mp3s on a 486 dx 66 or talking till i was blue in the face to VR
> folks at various coleges that Doom was hands down a better VR than the

I suggested to SGI that they talk to Id to make VRML better in 1996 or
97.

> wire frame pewp they were touting only having them drop their jaws when i
> custom made a level in front of thier eyes.

Remember how all the early VRML examples were 11MB because of too many
textures?

> You win some you loose some, the main goal is not winnig or loosing its
> learning...ok and winning a couple of times doesnt hurt:)-

Yes, bills need to be paid, toys need to be bought!

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams