Re: Let Me Get This Straight . . .

From: John Klassa (klassa@cisco.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 14:38:18 PDT

  Jeff> such as the view that a fetus is a human being

I hate to jump into the middle of this, because I really don't have the
energy to post 30 messages to FoRK in a single day, like some of you do
:-), but I have to ask... In your mind, at what point is that fetus a
human being? If it's a human being when it comes out, why isn't it one
when it's inside? If it's one when it's on the inside, why isn't killing
it the same as murder? Is murder acceptable to tolerant, open-minded
people?

I realize that not every abortion is a partial-birth abortion.
Nonetheless, a partial-birth abortion is an abortion, and so in your mind,
it isn't something that my beliefs should be allowed to interfere with,
where you and your body (or that of your wife/girlfried/whatever) are
concerned.

I put "partial-birth abortion" into Google, and the first hit was:

        http://members.aol.com/abtrbng/pbal.htm

I have no idea whether this site is for or against the procedure, because
I didn't read that far. I read the first paragraph, which says:

        So-called "Partial-birth" abortion is performed in the second and
        third trimesters and entails (1) inducing a breech delivery with
        forceps, (2) delivering the legs, arms and torso only, (3)
        puncturing the back of the skull with scissors or a trochar, (4)
        inserting a suction curette into the skull, (4) suctioning the
        contents of the skull so as to collapse it, (5) completing the
        delivery. A partial breech delivery is not considered a "birth"
        at common law, where it is the passage of the head that is
        essential.

Apparently, were the head to come out, the law would deem this a real
birth, and the result would be a real child. Were the doctor to kill the
child after its head is out, the doctor would presumably be guilty of
murder. Just because its head happens to be inside, though, it's legal to
kill it... This isn't murder? This is acceptable? This isn't something
I should be incensed against, and should work to prevent? <boggle>

Society would have you believe that spanking is akin to child abuse. If
you swat your kid on the rear, you should go to jail. Yet, if you're so
inclined, you're free to suck your kid's brains out through a tube, so
long as the kid's head is still inside its mother. Unbelievable.
Absolutely unbelievable.

John