Re: Let Me Get This Straight . . .

From: Rodent of Unusual Size (Ken.Coar@Golux.Com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 12:12:03 PDT

Jay Thomas wrote:

> I realize people have a right to advertise, but there is such a
> thing as an appropriate time/place. And if they won't police
> themselves, the gov needs to set limits for them. Not censorship,
> not forcing religion down anyones throat, just a bit of common
> courtesy.

Oh, man, there is just SO much wrong with the above (IMHO).

'The gov needs to set limits for them,' forsooth! Um, law is
a very wide and tarry brush; it would affect both those whom
you think should be limited -- and those whom you have not
considered. Who gets to choose the limits? The government?
Oh please. And all because you are unwilling to accept your
responsibility as a parent to educate your children to deal
with life outside your preferred box? [1] Bzzzt, so sorry,
but that *is* trying to censor and force your opinions down
the throats of others. Y'see, it has already happened and
you are witnessing the result: those adverts are as they are
because they are permitted to be so. In other words, you
were outvoted.

While there are many aspects of the NRA which I deplore and
despise, one thing I think they definitely have right all
the way down the line: It is impossible to child-proof a gun,but eminently possible to gun-proof a child. Now if only a) our
culture permitted parents to have enough time with their families
to follow that principle, and b) they were willing to do so rather
than exhaustedly (or lazily) handing over responsibility for making
the world a better place to the government. The children of the
next generation should be raised knowing that it is in *their*
power to effect change, and that if they want it done right, they'd
best do it themselves.

[1] I do not have children, and have no intention of changing
that -- partially because I doubt my ability to fulfill the
responsibility I identify above.

--
#ken    P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/> Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/> "Apache Server for Dummies" <http://Apache-Server.Com/> "Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>