Re: Let Me Get This Straight . . .

From: Ian Andrew Bell (fork@ianbell.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 14:32:12 PDT

On 5/14/01 1:26 PM, "Brian Clapper" <bmc@WillsCreek.com> wrote:

> Jay Thomas (jay@thomas.vg) writes:
>
>> I just want my kids to grow up in a world where they're not bombarded
>> with filth all day, every day. When you're watching "family" tv in the
>> afternoon with your kids, and an ad comes on for an R rated movie that is
>> so violent, my kid looks horrified, theres something wrong with our
>> culture.

I just want my kids to grow up in a world that accurately reflects the one
in which they will live as adults, and that they will hopefully seek to
change for the better. Realizing that I can't control the entire world and
that I can't filter every person and idea with whom my children come into
contact, I will focus my effort less on supporting conservative lobbyists
and more on talking to my children and actually being a parent.

When that ad comes on television in the middle of "Barney", whether it's
gory violence or explicit sex, I will smile inside as my children turn to me
and point out how "stupid" or "lame" the ad is.

If you're going to propose restrictive government regulation of anything in
this world, perhaps it would just be simpler and more expedient to license
the art of parenting.

If one expects the government to perform the task of filtering,
contextualization, socialization, and education on their behalf then let me
nominate them as the first candidate for suspension.

-Ian.