Re: Let Me Get This Straight . . .

From: Jay Thomas (jay@thomas.vg)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 16:47:57 PDT

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Jay Thomas wrote:
> >
> > I realize people have a right to advertise, but there is such a
> > thing as an appropriate time/place. And if they won't police
> > themselves, the gov needs to set limits for them. Not censorship,
> > not forcing religion down anyones throat, just a bit of common
> > courtesy.
>
> Oh, man, there is just SO much wrong with the above (IMHO).
>
> 'The gov needs to set limits for them,' forsooth! Um, law is
> a very wide and tarry brush; it would affect both those whom
> you think should be limited -- and those whom you have not
> considered. Who gets to choose the limits? The government?
> Oh please. And all because you are unwilling to accept your
> responsibility as a parent to educate your children to deal
> with life outside your preferred box? [1] Bzzzt, so sorry,
> but that *is* trying to censor and force your opinions down
> the throats of others. Y'see, it has already happened and
> you are witnessing the result: those adverts are as they are
> because they are permitted to be so. In other words, you
> were outvoted.

So, you feel that the government (or anyone else) has *no* say in the
content allowed over the airwaves? Abolish the FCC? Intersperse r-rated
movies with Sesame Street, without warning? Thats what I'm talking about
- Things that I have *no* control over. I try my best to only have
age-appropriate show on tv for my small children, but there are times
when ads that are (IMO) inappropriate for the shows they are sponsoring
(which was the gist of my above post).

> While there are many aspects of the NRA which I deplore and
> despise, one thing I think they definitely have right all
> the way down the line: It is impossible to child-proof a gun,but eminently possible to gun-proof a child. Now if
I completely agree.

> only a) our
> culture permitted parents to have enough time with their families
> to follow that principle, and b) they were willing to do so rather
> than exhaustedly (or lazily) handing over responsibility for making
> the world a better place to the government. The children of the
> next generation should be raised knowing that it is in *their*
> power to effect change, and that if they want it done right, they'd
> best do it themselves.

Again, I agree. Hopefully my children will have that self-sufficiency,
when they are older. However, I won't limit their ideas of "power to
effect change" by saying "except by lobbying the government, because
that would be forcing your ideas on others". As long as the left is
doing it, the right should be doing it. Otherwise, its unilateral
disarmament.

--
"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those
with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig"