Re: Apple Opens Retial Stores

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 07:12:11 PDT

Tom wrote:

> (so the question is , will jobs treat the existing store like he treated
> the clone makers?)
>
> http://www.apple.com/retail/

I happened to walk by as Jobs was giving a presentation to the
press-only visitors. I am going to have to make myself a press pass or
something. Any publications want to 'certify' a free-lancer with a
3.3Mpixel camera for DC events???

The one thing that has me interested in Mac's is their current lead in
video production and their lock, so far, on production of what they call
the 'Superdrive' that makes DVD-player compatible DVD's... Apparently
works well, has all software and hardware included, and pulls directly
from Firewire.

I'm more interested in the Mac now that it's joined the Unix market,
sort of.

> This Saturday, Apple is opening its first retail stores. Here's why
>
> Apple currently has around 5% market share in personal computers. This
> means that out of one hundred computer users, five of them use Macs. While
> that may not sound like a lot, it is actually higher than both BMW's s and
> Mercedes-Benz's share of the automotive market. And it equals 25 million
> customers around the world using Macs.
>
> But that's s not enough for us. We want to convince those other 95 people
> that Macintosh offers a much simpler, richer and more human-centric
> computing experience. And we believe the best way to do this is to open
> Apple stores right in their neighborhoods. Stores that let people
> experience firsthand what it's ike to make a movie right on a Mac. Or burn
> a CD with their favorite music. Or take pictures with a digital camera and
> publish them on their personal website. Or select from over 300 software
> titles, including some of the best educational titles for kids. Or talk to
> a Macintosh genius at our Genius Bar. Or watch a demonstration of Mac OS
> X, our revolutionary new operating system, on our theater's s giant
> 10-foot diagonal screen.
>
> Because if only 5 of those remaining 95 people switch to Macs, we'll
> double our market share and, more importantly, earn the chance to delight
> another 25 million customers.
> Here we go...

sdw

--