RE: National Semiconductor Intros "PC on a Chip"

Joe Barrera (
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:03:43 -0700

"In the future, you're going to get computers as prizes in breakfast
cereals. You'll throw them out because your house will be littered with

- Robert Lucky, quoted in chapter 20 of _In Introduction to Operating
Systems_ by Harvey Deitel, (c) 1984. (My guess is that this quote appeared
in the Reflections column in IEEE Spectrum, but I don't have back issues and
I can't find them online.)

At any rate, one of my very favorite quotes about computers.

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III <>
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (650)
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do not
reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Thomas []
Sent: Monday, April 06, 1998 10:09 AM
To: FoRK
Subject: National Semiconductor Intros "PC on a Chip"

Looks like the days of intelligent toasters are soon to be
upon us.
I'm looking forward to reading my email in the shower :)
pertinent quotes:

National Semiconductor today plans to announce a way to
combine most
of the chips used
in personal computers into a single chip, which could bring
PC prices
under $500 and lead to a host of new computing

National said its new chip will lead to even lower cost PCs
and other
low-cost "information appliances."

"You will be surrounded by PCs," Halla said of machines that
could use
National's new chips. "You will get into your car
and say e-mail please, you will have a flat panel display on
the wall
above your bedroom. It could be impossible to predict
what will happen by the year 2000."

Jay Thomas (w)617-576-4832 ICQ:5270335
Network Manager (b)617-546-2444

I think so, Brain, but how will we get a pair of Abe
Vigoda's pants?