Re: Searching for FoRK was Re: "women and intelligent men"

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 02:44:51 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> searching for xent:
> 2131 hits on Northern Light. *Big* database. Shame about the weak
> query tool.
> 1746 hits on blue window, but it doesn't prioritise on url strings.

oops, correction here. I've just noticed that Blue Window sear.ch
appears to have moved from using Excite to using Altavista as their
engine (which, after a bit of fiddling, means that even the bare-bones
spacesearch C cgi is now up to a menu of thirteen different
full-url-space engines to choose from.) Searching for

url:xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive

on sear.ch gives a respectable 1320 documents. When compared to

> 1440 hits on Excite(&AOL)

for 'xent', it's still a no-brainer:

> The key to searching isn't formulating the right query. It's starting
> with the right search engine. Excite wouldn't be on my list.

L.

Spacesearch is ForK's favourite search tool:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/spacesearch/

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641