Re: Request for Info ... Diva? Anyone? Beuller

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 22:33:16 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Since we're on time travel, there's a couple of works that I'd like to
> recommend that have a sort of different take on the subject. The first
> is a short story called "If This Is Winnetka, You Must Be Judy" by F.M.
> Busby (I think.)
>
> It's in a "year's best" collection from, like, 1976,
> and it's one of if not my favorite sci-fi short of all time. It's about
> a guy who, for no identifiable reason, lives his life out-of-order. A
> few months at age 45, then a year in his mid twenties, then a few weeks
> as an infant... pretty neat.

It's in hir 'Getting Home' collection, I believe (my copy's several
hundred miles away.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0441282679/forkrecommendedrA/

Seriously underrated author, IMO; I like everything I've been able to
find locally, but that seems to be a fortunate subset of a vast list
of substandard Xanthish novels.

> The other work is a novel called "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. The
> protagonist hits age 45, has a heart attack and dies, then wakes up at
> age 18 with all his memories intact. He relives his life, making
> certain changes along the way, hits 45, heart attack... and wakes up
> back at 18 again. And over, and over... the catch is that each time he
> "replays," he wakes up older than the last time around. At first, the
> increment is small, but the increment itself grows with each replay.
> There's all sorts of interesting things about whether or not history can
> be changed in a substantial way, etc. as well as a really human story.
> A really, really cool book, even if it isn't Joyce or Pynchon. ;-)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0441715923/forkrecommendedrA/

It's discounted. The airline crash prediction stuff and illustration
of the butterfly effect is quite neatly done; well worth reading, IMO.

This topic would not be complete without a mention of Heinlein's 'All
You Zombies', of course.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641