Re: Advancements in Technology and the Impact on Higher Education

Lloyd Wood (eep1lw@surrey.ac.uk)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:33:13 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> > Unfortunately, the PhD is increasingly being seen the same way, as
> > just another hoop to get through. The object becomes the generation of
> > material considered suitable for PhD assessment, rather than
> > documenting original contributions.
>
> Sun Microsystems Chief Scientists, John Gage and Bill Joy, would
> disagree with you.
>
> http://gbolcer.ics.uci.edu/media/academe.html

That looks like

http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/2346.html

to me. It's the usual unsubstantiated wired hype.

> Haven't you
> ever wondered whatever happened to those people who were passed
> up through the grades just to get rid of them? Ones that were
> given, even B.S.'s in computer science? Where do you think those
> people are now?

Working at Sun.

They're the 90% of Sun employees who don't know who Bill Joy is.

L.

this is the result of paying for your education.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641