Re: Fwd: SLATE AFTERNOON DELIVERY; [Stupid Idea Series]

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@ICS.uci.edu)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 20:01:45 -0800

Serb hamburgers sound pretty awesome. I went to a Brazilian BBQ
(right outside of OC) that serves up 21 different types of meat.
As to iVillage, it's good to see a non-Californian
make the WSJ, excuse me, the Times with an IPO story.

The reason Michael Hirschorn is not making an insane amount
of money on IPOs is because he can't see the ink from the
dead trees. He laments about peckings orders, envy, and
old culture while at the same time completely
ignoring his own advice.

One of the greatest words of wisdom one can offer is,
do the obvious. Create a site similar to garage.com,
take 5% of all money raised, hire a bunch of ex-hollywood
gophers and have a full time staff pitching well-structured
movie scripts to hollywood studios. They are paying upwards of $2M
per script, and $100k will keep two dozen USC and UCLA film
students in kibble and rice for a year. The only upfront development
costs is using Fusion 4.0 to copy the garage.com site and
do a global substitute of all the names. Heck, pitching
first round funding to VCs is basically equivalent to pitching
scripts to film execs.

New Yorkers crack me up.

Greg