Re: Compaq <cough>

Grlygrl201@aol.com
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:14:12 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/99 12:00:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time, rst@ai.mit.edu
writes:

<< Grlygrl201@aol.com writes:
> Eckhard Pfeiffer quit abruptly as president and chief executive officer of
> Compaq, leaving the company he helped build with little warning or
> explanation. Also resigning was Earl Mason, Compaq's chief financial
officer.

The NYT has a story about this this morning. Apparently, the board
was disappointed with the financial results, and they were expecting
the company to be doing more with its Internet resources (selling net
servers, AltaVista, etc.).

And, indeed, if you look at the financial results over the past
quarter, the concern is easy to justify. While Compaq has made
significant strides in reducing its profits, which are down by about
half, the company is still, regrettably, making money. Clearly, this
is not an Internet stock.

rst

GET BROADBAND NET ACCESS FROM COMPAQ
http://www.pcworld.com/cgi-bin/pcwtoday?ID=10496

Compaq is teaming with Hughes to wire Presarios for satellite Net
access.

I like GMH, and I am/have always been enamored of launch technology. I'm
betting on a turn-around for CPQ, if their BOD fires their director of
marketing and does something about their 71,000 employees (compared to Dell -
16,000; Gateway - 19,000).

Geege