Re: Colorado shooting and police training

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 07:49:58 -0700

At 9:58 AM -0400 4/21/99, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>I saw CNN-HL's coverage of the Colorado school shooting tragedy
>this morning. (Those who know me are aware that I don't use the
>terms 'excited' or 'tragedy' lightly.) Two things about what I
>saw and heard disturbed me:
>
>1. The television station that was called by a student in a
> classroom during the event took time to pump him for
> information before advising him to call 911.

The one that made me sick was Larry King drilling some kid and he says, "me
and one of them were in a fantasy baseball league" and King goes nuts, "you
two were in a fantasy baseball league? is that what you're saying, a
fantasy baseball league?"

>2. A group of (I presume) students was shown running across
> the street, accompanied/herded by police. All of them had
> their hands clasped atop their heads.

The police felt one of the shooters would have blended into the crowd. Of
course the other students wouldn't have scattered in all directions if he
had. Then again police aren't known for being the brightest light in the
sky.

>The first one I personally find reprehensible. I'm not sure how
>I feel about the second one, but it seems to have echoes regarding
>presumption of innocence.

Hey what do you expect kids to do that are Gay Racist Goth Bikers who were
into Nostradamus stuff, Hitler and Doomsday.

Did that pretty much cover the field?

Tim

--

I got two turntables and a G3 PowerBook.

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>