Re: Phase III: new hub, new Ultra5, new scanner, new cd burner

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endeavors.org)
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:58:02 -0700

Rohit Khare wrote:

> Since I felt pretty satisfied with my Phase II exam performance, I
> decided to splurge at Fry's yesterday.
>
> Jim bought a $25 doohickey from Fry's last year ("with SparkLights!")
> and it worked like a champ for him. I went and bought the same thing
> and got nowhere. Over the months, it became clear that the hub worked
> internally (I could set up a bedroom-area-network), but it just
> wouldn't uplink however much the blinkenlights promised, whatever
> permutations of cabling I used.

I just did the same thing. I got a 5 port + uplink. I finally
ended up plugging laptop and SGI into ports 1 & 2 and bought a
crossover cable and put it into port 5 instead of the uplink. Works
great. I think that the Alcatel ADSL modem and the hub are incopatible
in some minor way, so I just circumvented it. It was $99 dual 10/100
autosensing. Both the SGI and 3com PCMCIA support 100.

Greg

It takes 3 tries to get it at Fry's!