Re: Tombstones and tumbleweeds

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Thu, 27 May 1999 23:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

John M. Klassa writes:
> Um, I'm sorry, but having some equipment screw up and drop a guy 50 feet
> onto his head does *not* make wrestling any less fake. Sure, you have
> to be athletic to withstand the kind of falling around that goes on in
> the ring... I'm not saying that wrestlers aren't capable athletes.
> However, to say that the sport where people routinely stand absolutely
> still while the other guy gets a particular hold going, is real, is a
> joke.

One of the Boston sports talk shock jocks (Eddie Andelman --- not
*entirely* a bad guy, does a lot of charity work, but...) is a
wrestling fan, and is fond of making the claim that wrestling is the
only major sport which has never had a betting scandal. Even if true
(nothing you can guarantee; the guy has claimed on the air that New
Hampshire's Lake Winnepisaukee is the size of Lake Michigan), you've
gotta wonder about the relevance; what kind of idiot would be on a
sport where everyone knows it's fixed?

rst