Re: Netscape6 integrates RSS, IM, new DOM

From: Jesse (jesse@fsck.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 13:44:35 PDT

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 04:33:16PM -0400, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> H&kon Wium Lie writes:
> > In the back room, we also have a curses version of Opera which lays
> > out pages as if images and CSS were supported. Who can provide us with
> > a giftoasciiart package?
>
> Nelson Minar and Jan Hubicka:
> http://nelson.www.media.mit.edu/people/nelson/courses/mas814/
> http://horac.ta.jcu.cz/aa/

Sadly, AAlib depends heavily on the ability to set differing levels of grey
or color. And it tends to be optimized for moving images. Neither of which
is useful for textmode browsers (which are often displayed on vt100 style
devices without finegrained color control..Though it would be an amusing way
to render animated gifs. What you really want is something more along
the lines of old lineprinter art generation tools...like those I bounced a moment ago.
        jesse

--
jesse reed vincent -- jrvincent@wesleyan.edu -- jesse@fsck.com
pgp keyprint:  50 41 9C 03 D0 BC BC C8 2C B9 77 26 6F E1 EB 91