RE: Happy one-month anniversary, Gnutella.

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 23:56:00 PDT

> Yes, the network protocol behavior of Gnutella seems just as bad as the
> content traded over it.
>
> Why you don't want Gnutella (at least not yet)
> http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$16082
> http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$16102

Since my porn, warez, and MP3 (the bane of audiophiles) piracy needs are
minimal, I hadn't really looked at Gnutella in detail.

But I must say, reading those made my stomach turn, and wonder how
people that dumb can exist without forgetting to breath. Anyone who had
been in my Apple LOGO class when I was eight would know better. "Lets
design a global file sharing system that scales to 3 nodes" /rant

So I followed the discussion thread, saw someone mentioned freenet,
poked around the freenet docs (again)... and realized the two messages
apply reasonably well to freenet's methods as well. Neither actually
does diddley-squat to do more then recreate usenet, and both make files
trackable and users vulnerable if the copyright police get serious. On
the other hand, since the only use is for piracy, maybe that's a good
thing :) Napster is far more efficient, they just need to move to a
no-copyright country.

- Adam L. Beberg
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/