MSFT: "Our approach is to be modest and humble."

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 11:56:59 PDT

Is the Microsoft mission statement now "A PC in every pocket"?
  http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-1718714.html?pt.yfin.cat_fin.txt.ne

I've never heard an MSFT employee say the following sentence to the
press before:
> Microsoft product manager Phil Holden added, "Our approach is to be
> modest and humble."

IMHO, the high-order bit is that Microsoft has shifted its target
slightly from consumer to corporate with the Pocket PC. It's currently
shipping a test version of its mobile database ("SQL Server 2000 Windows
CE Edition") to allow employees using handhelds to link their corporate
networks, download data, work offline, and connect to the network to
sync up with the corporate dbase. (Also, it just occurred to me that
Pocket PC represents WinCE 3.0. I guess it's no coincidence Bill Gates
was at CTIA this year.)

By the way, does anyone besides me hate the phrase "post-PC"? It's hard
for me to make room for a PDA in my life between my RIM pager, my Nextel
phone, my Sprint PCS phone, my laptop, and my PAA (a/k/a paper and pen),
but I would not say I could see us living in a post-PC world anytime soon.

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

Venture capitalists tell me that entrepreneurs come in now with a five-page business plan and a cute URL and expect a $20 million valuation. In many cases, they're getting it. -- Aaron Fuchs, www.fertilemind.net