Re: Mafioso

From: B.K. DeLong (bkdelong@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 11:51:48 PDT

At 02:00 PM 04/20/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I just wish they'd quit callin script kiddies and packet kiddies hackers.
>The word 'hackers' implies that one at least has a clue about programming,
>IMO. I laugh when I read that "hackers" DoS sites. What was even funnier
>was when someone stole Bill Clinton's nick on a chat site, he was called a
>hacker! (:

Been there, done that argument WAY too many times. Give it up....it's not
worth trying to reclaim the word hacker....there are too many people who
think that hacker is synonymous with "criminal computer activity." If
anything, we've been encouraging use of the word "vandals" or "criminal."
Because for crying out loud....that's all they are. While defacing Web
sites may be akin to spray painting graffiti on a building, it's still
criminal.

--
B.K. DeLong
Research Lead