Re: [IRR] XML Editors for W2K

From: Dan Kalikow (drdan@kalikow.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 11:00:12 PDT

Hi Dan --

FWIW, I did a pretty complete survey of the state of XML-editing SW (over
the period from summer-fall 1999) as part of my last gig at the now-defunct
Reed Elsevier Technology Group -- I recall looking at about 9 or 10 tools.
Agreed, XML Spy is non-intuitive. The freeware wasn't competitive, also.

XMetaL came out on top, judged on a multi-dimension rating scale. Of
course none of the tools was perfect. XMetaL lacks some of the nifty
bells-'n'-whistles that the more mature HomeSite offers for HTML -- at
least I haven't found them yet -- and it doesn't have tree-view. However,
they promised such a view in their next release. You can edit in
color-coded pure-ASCII if you want; there's a good tag view; and an
_editable_ WYSIWYG view too, that I find very useful for free-flow writing.
 XMetaL can be used to produce HTML. It offers validation.

Whatever code you produce, be it in the ASCII or WYSIWYG view, is always
internally prettyprinted, which eases proofreading. There's table and
styling support too, though I haven't used them in awhile. The price-point
is aggressive enough that I think they'll reach their goal of having XMetaL
become a generic multipurpose XML editor, as XML takes a more and more
central role in the future of the web.

I've stopped using HomeSite; I use XMetaL (running fine on my W2K laptop)
for the little HTML I need, and hand-code the stuff that I haven't figured
out how to get XMetaL to do.

/Dan

PS -- I can't tell whether this reply will get to the [IRR]s -- while its
Sender was tbtf-irregulars-approval@world.std.com, the From and the To:
don't point to tbtf-irregulars@world.std.com. Your call.