Re: Netscaler: 320,000 TCP connects/sec

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 13:15:48 PDT

Adam Beberg writes:
> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Rohit Khare wrote:
> > Here's where it gets a bit technical. WebScaler takes care of the
> > normally processor-intensive tasks involved in setting up and
> > processing users' Transport Control Protocol requests, off-loading
> > those duties from the site's Web servers.
>
> My god! It's a front end web proxy! How long has everyone running
> mod_perl or any SQL engine been using this as a standard bit-pushing
> technique now?

It's not a front-end web proxy, actually. It doesn't cache any
content. It just turns all requests over new connections into requests
over existing TCP connections.

I'm tempted to make a snide remark here, but I won't --- I've been
caught talking arrogantly about things I didn't understand too :)

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)