Re: Someone please tell me why Snapfish.com is worth $40 million in funding?

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:32:14 PDT

I guess they persuaded enough people that the world isn't about to
mass migrate to mobile-phone-organiser-camera devices from 35mm. Cos if
everyone did move to photo-capable hi tec gagetry, many of their
premises drop off the edge of the business plan. If I sync my
photo-capable gadget with the Web, the data format of the images on
there doesn't matter, as I'll also be syncing messages, calendars, todo
lists, contacts books, so will need a generic Web data service not a
photo-specific one.

IMHO etc.,

danbri

ps. the biggest downer for 35mm versus futuristic
phone/organiser/photo gadgets is that the latter is capable of burning
into image files global positioning metadata indicating where (and
when) the snap was snapped. When this goes mainstream it'll be much easier for Web
indexers to do cute things like show photos taken within some geographic
location. Countless neat apps could be built on top of this...