[Beberg] To open source or not to open source...

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 21:25:30 PDT

Slightly-old bits, but lots of good nuggets in here, and I want 'em in
the FoRK scrapbook...

   http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/su-open.html

It will be an abomination in the eyes of [insert deity here] if this
doesn't get funded:

   http://cosm.mithral.com/lists/cosm-news/0001.html

I'm not kidding, FUND THIS MAN. It's the only sensical thing to do.
After all, there is such a heavy amount of cruft out there getting the
sweet, sweet dollar -- e.g.,

| o Goldman Sachs Invests in, Will Use Elevator News Network
|
| TORONTO -- Elevator News Network, developer of Internet-based narrowcast
| networks and video monitors that may be installed in elevators to
| provide real-time business news and information, said the Goldman Sachs
| Group invested approximately $4 million in the company. The Whitehall
| Street Real Estate Limited Partnerships, Goldman Sachs's real estate
| opportunity funds, has also signed a letter of intent to deploy the
| Elevator News Network system in its office properties throughout the
| United States. Steven Feldman, managing director at Goldman Sachs, has
| been named to the company's board of directors. http://www.enn.net/

or, [deity] forbid, their competitor...

| o Elevator Info Service Captivate Networks Raises $40 Million
|
| WESTFORD, Mass. -- Captivate Network, which installs display screens in
| the elevators of high-rise office buildings, providing news, weather,
| traffic, and stock market reports to passengers via wireless networks,
| said it raised $40 million in third round funding from venture capital
| firms and a group of real estate companies. Previous investor ABS
| Capital Partners led the venture investors, which collectively
| contributed $14 million to the round. New investor AEW Capital
| Management and previous investors Advent International, Olympic Venture
| Partners, and Primus Venture Partners participated. Real estate
| companies led by Equity Office Properties Trust and TrizecHahn Office
| Properties contributed the remaining $26 million. Boston Properties,
| Cornerstone Properties, Crescent Real Estate Equities, Reckson
| Associates Realty, and Shorenstein Company also participated. These
| realty companies, along with five others that did not invest in
| Captivate, have signed exclusive ten-year agreements to use Captivate's
| service in approximately 500 high-rise office buildings throughout the
| country. Michael Sheinkop, senior vice president of real estate services
| at Equity Office Properties, and Casey Wold, president of TrizecHahn,
| will join Captivate's board of directors. Captivate will use the new
| financing to install its network in the buildings under contract, and
| for its offices and staff. Captivate's networks are installed in
| buildings in Boston, Chicago, New York, and Stamford, CT. The company
| generates revenues through advertising, which is posted on the lower
| quarter of each display panel. http://www.captivatenetwork.com/

I have been floored by the dealflow in VentureWire -- I can't believe
how many awful ideas are getting funded. Each day there's an
opportunity for an entirely new awful idea to get funded. Remember, ten
thousand vanity angel and VC funds -- there's just plain too much money
chasing too many ideas; some strong ones get left on the cutting floor
and a whole bunch of weak ones get to step up to bat. When these dudes
pull their ducats from the public markets like they did over the past 8
weeks, they're looking for "ground floor" private equity dealflow and
will roll the dice on just about anything.

For the love of [deity], will someone PLEASE fund this man? :)

[Ain't I subtle? :]

> [...]

> source community by saying something "wrong."
>

> Open source meets the real world
>
> There is a rapidly growing middle ground in the licensing of software to
> deal with the interests of companies and authors while also having the
> spirit of open source.
>
> Hybrid licenses like the Apple Public Source License, or the Sun
> Community Source License (see Resources) are not considered "pure" open
> source by the older factions of the open source community. The licenses
> still protect the ownership, patent, and other interests of the
> inventors but publish the source and make it usable to many people. The
> open source community initially objected to these new licenses, but
> eventually licenses evolved that were reasonably acceptable to both
> commercial inventors and the open source community.
>
> Dual licensing is also a common option. One way is to release everything
> under both a traditional commercial use and an open source license.
> Users who wish to use the code commercially can provide revenue while
> providing the benefits of open source to noncommercial and academic
> users. The other way dual licensing is done is to lead with the current
> version under a commercial license, and follow later releasing old,
> obsolete versions under an open source license. Again many paying users
> will need the most current version; others can wait for the version to
> be made open source. Dual licensing seems to be more acceptable to the
> open source community since it has been done for a longer time.
>

> Summary
>
> In the end, open source is one software licensing option, which like any
> other, has advantages and disadvantages. The path is tricky for
> commercial interests to walk down. Experience shows that neither pure
> commercial or pure open source licensing works in most modern cases.
> More and more things are being done in that fuzzy middle of the real
> world. Open source companies are acting more like traditional companies,
> and software under dual or hybrid licenses is growing.
>

> Resources [for the links, go to
> http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/su-open.html ]
>
> * GNU Public License (GPL)
> * Mozilla Public License
> * Apple Public Source License
> * Sun Community Source License
> * The temple of the "open source" definition and the list of
> "blessed" licenses
> * The developerWorks open source zone
>

> About the author
>
> Adam L. Beberg is the President of Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
> and is best known for his work in the field of distributed computing and
> with Cosm. In 1997 Beberg founded distributed.net which solved several
> encryption contests. In April 1999, he left distributed.net to return to
> the Cosm project's goals to create a general purpose distributed
> computing infrastructure. Beberg holds a degree in Computer Engineering
> from the Illinois Institute of Technology. He can be reached at

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

It's just one of those days, running like a freight train. First one to complain leaves with a bloodstain. Damn right I'm a maniac. -- Limp Bizkit, "Break Stuff"