RE: Bar-coding the Real World with URLs

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 14:42:17 PDT

Resisting the urge to witter on about how I thought this up 5 years ago
but fell asleep reading barcode specs and got distracted, this reminds
me of another someday gadget that I'm determined not to forget (because
I really need it to exist!):

Long story short. I want a way not only of uniquely IDing all the junk
(papers, books, CDs, videos etc) lying around home and office, but of
finding the damn things when I want them. That means putting them down
anywhere, then asking my local Web where I left them. I know how to do
the metadata part, that's the easy bit. But the hardware side of it I've
not done a tech review on. I want there to exist something cheap and
unencumbered by silly US patents which allows a networked device to
locate nearby objects given their identifier.

eg: Q: "where did I put that book I borrowed from Martin last year"
    A: ??? (coordinates I guess; or geiger-counter style gadget
      that beeped more frequently as I approach its location... whatever)

So I'm after something with cheap, unubtrusive little labels (like
shops/libraries use to stop you stealing stuff) that are uniquely IDs
and whose exact location can be detected by some cheap, unobtrusive
little box I can hook into a PC. It'd need to be suitable for attaching
little ID/labels to all the printouts, photocopies etc I've lying
around, in filing cabinets etc.

Someone please tell me this is feasible...

Dan