@F: Boo.com Hoo.com

From: Ian Andrew Bell (despot@ianbell.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 16:15:03 PDT

I can't remember posting anything about Boo.com to FOIB before, but I've
been watching their swan dive with a grin on my face for the last 18 months.

In the early going, BOO was positioned as high-fashion snob culture meets
geekdom and the twentysomething prodigies who founded it, with their black
ribbed turtleneck sweaters and oh-so-chic hipster glasses, were lauded as
icons of generation Vest. Behind it all, though, none of them had ever
done a startup before, let alone worked in the business, so they didn't
have a clue what they were doing. Without having the street sense to be
able to separate fact from fiction, you tend to believe whatever people
tell you.

For starters, they obviously took the advice of your typical art-snob
web-geeks who built a web site so technically complex that only the
uber-wired could use it without crashing their browser. Stupid
mistake. This just in... my mother has a Pentium 166. So do most of the
rest of us.

Next, they delayed their launch by six months for inexplicable
reasons. Ouch! This is probably because they took the advice of a bunch
of Andersen Consulting guys who expensed Concorde trips to New York for
"Business Development" purposes and failed to deliver an eCommerce solution
that scaled.

Third, they had basically loaded their whole ad budget into the first six
months (as most .com companies do), so that when their launch was delayed
they either had to pay kill fees (what you pay to radio/tv/magazines when
you pull your ads at the last minute) or let the ads run, pointing
potential new customers to a "coming soon" banner. Wow: Impressive
customer conversion strategy, guys!

Fourth, when they did launch, the honeymoon with the press was long over
and all of the articles had moved on to slamming them for the delays and
for their technical sins. They got virtually zero good PR, had no money to
spend on advertising, and couldn't generate the hype they needed to drive
any but the most anxious of customers back to the site.

Finally, the founders got out. Everybody got fired. The company's culture
was gutted. Now they're just another failed startup, though the corona
from this spectacular $120 million flameout is pretty impressive. That's
US Dollars, kids!

Proof that a bunch of euro-trash fashion victims posing as web geeks get
what they deserve. I love .comMunism!

-Ian.