Re: [ZDNet] Late and slowed by feature creep, it's ... Linux?

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 20:15:45 PDT

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:
> Umm, no, it's not getting more Windows-like. If Linux were evolving
> toward becoming an integrated platform ala Windows, Mac, NeXT, etc,
> it would be producing a coherent integrated API/ABI (to make the
> programming model as simple as possible). There's no sign of such.

Very true. The Linux roadmap is closer to brownian motion then anything
else. Attempting to develop for "linux" leads to a royal mess and at
least 4 versions of everthing [didn't i say that a while back about
java?]. We managed to get the Cosm stuff down to only 2, but we'll have
more, many more, when we put in the OpenGL stuff. Now with the
commercial battles going on with distributions, it's even more hopeless.

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> Actually, this is pointing up one of the key differences between
> open-source projects and commercial outfits --- the open-source stuff
> ships when it's ready, not on some date predetermined by the marketing
> department.

Hmmm, marketing department, you mean those guys who have to listen to
the customers and try to please them?

Lets see, with linux:
Developers muddle around adding "neat stuff" until eventually
people/customers pressure Linus into putting his foot down and saying
"enough, time for something stable". Then it gets beta tested for a few
builds. Then they increment the version number and release it as
"stable" - followed shortly by one or two "oh sh*t" versions.

And with Windows:
Replace "Linus" with "BillG" and reread the above paragraph.

When you develop apps for all the major and minor OS's at the same time,
you get a real good 10,000 ft view of the whole mess. And it is a mess,
not one OS has decent security for my cookie recipes, and most are still
in the 70's tech wise. I used to favor one OS or another, but now I just
dislike them all the same. Stuck using/battling both NT (for the apps)
and Linux (for my servers) while I wait for some real security and tech
to come along.

It's really all the same thing, just like democrats and republicans.
Unless you know the system inside and out, you're screwed.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/