RE: Someone please tell me why Snapfish.com is worth $40 million in funding?

From: Antoun Nabhan (anabhan@law.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 11:18:13 PDT

Everyone wants to capture revenue by selling data that helps people sell
stuff, but someone still has to sell the underlying stuff, and do it
profitably. The thing is, to justify this GM has to believe that they're
going to make $70 million in profit (not revenue, because their COGS isn't
zero) off of the stuff that they're trying to hawk to these people.

They make about a 3% profit margin
(<http://cgi.fortune.com/cgi-bin/fortune/fortune500/csnap.cgi?r96=1>), so
to generate $70 million in profit they have to sell $2,187,500,000 in cars
to the NetZero audience. (Granted that 3% figure includes marketing
expenses, so this very back-of-the-napkin.) Assuming $25K per car, that's
87,500 cars. If NetZero really does have 3 million users, then 1 of every
34 users have to buy a new GM car. Hmmmm.

Think of your 34 closest net-using friends who are too cheap to pay for
access. Have any of them bought a new GM vehicle in the last 3 years? Hmmm.

Under deadline, so I didn't check the math, but hmmm... anyhow,
--A.