[eBoys excerpt] When the Money Goes Down the Drain...

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 20:57:31 PDT

A trifecta of new books for the "I Can't Get Enough About
Venture Capitalists" genre...

  http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/local/fork-books.html#vc

First, there's Charles Ferguson's inside account of Vermeer:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812931432/forkrecommendedrA

Then, there's Randy Komisar's _The Monk and the Riddle: The Education
of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur_:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578511402/forkrecommendedrA

Finally, coming out on May 30 after months of hype is Randall Stross'
inside account of the horrifying stuff that goes on at Benchmark:

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812930959/forkrecommendedrA

From stories like the following, Benchmark really does seem more like a
fraternity than a VC firm in the blatant disregard for due diligence...

I love the line about the CTO:
> "Smart guy. He's not someone I would fight for, except that all the
> engineers are there because of this guy, and he's got all the
> knowledge in his head."

Bruce Schneier makes a cameo, too...

> [...]

> Rachleff agreed. "You'd be amazed how much better you'd feel."

> "I'm worried about the reputation hit for us," Beirne said.

> "Companies go out of business," Dunlevie said. "Part of your
> reputation is, companies fail."

> "The market's talking. The dogs aren't eating," said Rachleff. "When
> did we invest? Last June?"

> "Yes."

> "A number of customers were imminent back then?"

> "Ten-million-dollar supposed order from Price Waterhouse."

> "Right."

> "There sure are a lot of signs," Rachleff repeated. He wasn't
> concerned about Benchmark's overall reputation being badly damaged.
> "The amazing thing about our business is, everyone forgets the
> losers. They remember the winners."

> "Part of hitting home runs, you strike out. Babe Ruth struck out,"
> offered another partner.

> "You know how many strikeouts John Doerr has had?" Rachleff asked
> Beirne. "Does anyone care? No."

> "That's not the issue," Dunlevie broke in. "The issue is that it's
> hard. It's really hard. The only person who cares is you. I've been
> there. And you're going to care forever. You've got to let it go.
> That's the best advice I can give you."

> The room was quiet.

> "'Kay," said Beirne, bringing the discussion to a close.

> The next month, when Beirne learned that John Atalla had dismissed
> the interim chief the board had appointed after Wahl's resignation,
> Beirne, Perkins, and the rest of the board of directors all arrived
> at the same conclusion: Atalla would not permit a role for outside
> directors. The investments remained in place, but the board resigned
> en masse. Game over.

> TriStrata still exists. Atalla, who now holds the title of CEO, says
> that by the end of June, TriStrata will announce deals with major
> global corporations, including some applications service providers.
> He points out that the majority of the company's directors are
> outsiders and insists that they are active in planning company
> strategy. He also says he hopes to take the company public within a
> year. Still, as of now, four-year-old TriStrata has yet to record any
> revenues.

> In Priceline's last quarter of operations, it announced sales of $170
> million. Priceline went public in March 1999, the same month that
> TriStrata released its software. The shares were priced at $16 and
> ended the first day at $69. A month later it reached $120, which
> could have made Benchmark's stake worth more than a billion dollars.
> And every time Dave Beirne heard one of those ubiquitous Priceline
> commercials on the radio, he would have to grip the wheel hard so as
> not to run off the road...

> Excerpted from eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists
> at Work, by Randall E. Stross, to be published in May 2000 by Crown
> Publishers, a division of Random House Inc. Copyright (c) by Randall

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

I'm a modern Edison, patenting everything that moves! -- Rohit Khare imitating Jay Walker