Re: I****YOU worm

From: Carey Lening (fork@xent.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 01:13:59 PDT

On KPFK, one of the local stations in SoCAL, I heard an absoloutely
wonderful and clueful representation of this whole virus bit. The host (who
actually knew his technical bits) was interviewing the lead programing
director from Symantec. They managed to give a pretty indepth, not too
techy explanation of what the virus/worm did, how it infected various
machines, and how the folks go about making norton and fixing the
viruses. It was rather enlightening and bitful. They note that there were
5 main variants, and some useful user techniques to keep the thing from
propagating. The end featured a bit of psychology of the Virus writer,
which, being a psych major I had to admire. Point: The media is covering
this. If this had been on during prime driving hours instead of 11pm, that
would have been tops. But I applaud them for having it on at all.

-C