[Salon] [Napster] Come on, Eileen

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 00:08:58 PDT

Very level-headed interview with the Napster CEO in Salon:

  http://www.salon.com/tech/view/2000/05/08/napster_richardson/

D'oh! I should have known there was some kind of Napster-Firefly
connection! [It occurs to me that what Microsoft did with Firefly is
mockery. How the heck does that bloated piece of sh!!t Passport make
use of anything cool like HOMR/Ringo/Firefly used to be?]

> Come on, Eileen
> by Damien Cave, Salon, May 8, 2000
>
> Napster CEO Eileen Richardson is walking on sunshine. But with lawsuits
> piling up, is she really dancing on a grave?
>
> With burgundy-tinted hair, a love of club music and a son whom she tends
> to mention, regardless of the conversation topic, Eileen Richardson
> isn't a typical CEO. But Napster isn't a typical company. Eight months
> ago, it didn't exist; now it's becoming a contender for most rapidly
> adopted software in Internet history.
>
> It's also one of the most beleaguered. By offering a free, downloadable
> application that lets users temporarily turn their computers into
> servers for the purpose of swapping MP3 files, Napster has attracted
> lawsuits like the Beatles attracted fans. The Recording Industry of
> America filed suit late last year, Dr. Dre tacked on another case last
> month and just last week Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich appeared at the
> company's offices in San Mateo, Calif., to drop off an amendment to the
> band's own lawsuit.
>
> Richardson has tended to take this all in stride. She was an early
> investor in Napster and became CEO in September, only a few months after
> 19-year-old Northeastern University student Shawn Fanning developed the
> program. After 10 years in the world of venture capital, Richardson
> seems happy to be leading her own band. She has good reason: A new
> version of Napster is in its final-testing phase, the company is hiring
> like mad and artists like Chuck D. and Limp Bizkit have come out in
> Napster's defense. But the company is far from clear of its troubles.
> How is she handling the heat?
>

> Salon: When I chatted a few weeks ago with some of your employees,
> spirits were high and there was sense that Napster might soon come out
> from under the cloud of all these lawsuits. But since then, a lot has
> happened: Is it tough to maintain employee morale?
>
> Eileen: No, not at all. As with any start-up, you experience your
> highest highs and your lowest lows -- the whole range of emotions. This
> is no different. Maybe the highs are higher and the lows are lower, but
> it's still that roller coaster and that's what makes it exciting and
> fun. Every employee knew the opportunities that they had here at
> Napster, so I think they all understood that this was going to be a
> roller coaster.
>

> Salon: But not every start-up gets to see Metallica's drummer hand
> deliver a 60,000-page lawsuit. Are you surprised by how dramatic this
> has all become?
>
> Eileen: It's not a shock. I guess once I heard that [Lars] Ulrich was
> coming, I was just like, "OK." I think we believe -- certainly I believe --
> that there are better ways of handling it, better ways of getting us
> information, like using the Internet maybe. That would have worked.
>

> Salon: What do you think Ulrich's stunt says about the band? About their
> opinion of their fans?

> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

I'm stranded all alone at the gas station of love, and I have to use the self-service pump. -- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "One More Minute"