[FoundOnTheWeb] On Caning and Other Forms of Punishment.

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 21:31:03 PDT

This is old bits, but I've always been fascinated by caning...

   http://students.ou.edu/C/Ilma.A.Cotto-Leiva-1/ofcaning.html

Don't talk to me about cruel and unusual punishment, I work for a startup!

Remind me to tell you the one about the job candidate we flew from
Boston to the West Coast, only to keep him up for the first 24 hours he
was in town, depriving him of sleep and food until his eyes glazed over...

> Of Caning and other forms of Punishment
> Arabella Cotto. March 6, 1998

> "Thrash! One! ... Thrash! Two! ... Thrash! Three! ... Thrash! ... Four!" The
> sound of the cane was sharp and precise, as if cutting the air. Four strokes
> of the cane! That is what juveniles are most likely to receive in Asian
> countries if ever found guilty of minor crimes. No big deal. What if it were
> in the States?

> The question did not arouse until 1994 when Michael Fay, an adolescent US
> citizen, was sentenced to receive 4 strokes from a rattan cane in Singapore
> as punishment for committing vandalism. The US shocked; that form of
> punishment was not legal in the US and still considered "cruel and unusual."

> Even though President Clinton pleaded Singapore not to carry out the
> sentence, the child was caned for Singapore does not considered caning as
> cruel and unusual means to penalize minors. Since then, legal experts in the
> US have been examining this specific penalty to determine whether or not it
> is legal, according to the cruel and unusual punishment ban encompassed in
> the US Constitution. The Eight Amendment reads: "Excessive bail shall not be
> required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments
> inflicted" (qtd. in Garvey 1420). Astonishingly, through legal eyes, caning
> results not to be cruel and unusual punishment.

> First of all, we have to set what constitutes "cruel and unusual
> punishment," or for that matter, what "cruel and unusual" means. In order to
> define cruel and unusual punishment three separate definitions have to be
> proposed. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, Punishment is a
> penalty imposed to one who has committed an offense, a sin or a fault; in
> short, a penalty for wrongdoing. Cruel refers to any action disposed to
> inflict pain or suffering. Unusual is the quality of not being common,
> ordinary or not practiced with frequency. Therefore, cruel and unusual
> punishment is a non-traditional penalty imposed to a convict that causes
> him/her extreme pain or suffering. The following criteria have been set up
> to identify a penalty as cruel and unusual punishment; the fulfillment of
> one of the items makes a penalty cruel an unusual.

> Not quickly executed
> Deliberate causing extremely pain or suffering
> Excessive for the committed crime
> Discriminatory
> Not traditional or not laying on historical background

> Each of the criterion has been deeply scrutinized in order to be given
> credit under the Eighth Amendment frame. Being quickly carried out has been
> one of the majors concerns and has motivated the seek for the best and most
> effective way to execute capital punishment (Sueiro 7-10). Similarly, making
> a penalty relatively painless worries our legal community, as exemplified by
> Van Den Haag: "[T]he death penalty surely is not imposed for the sake of the
> [...]

----
Adam@4K-Associates.Com

(1) Alexander the Great was a great general. (2) Great generals are forewarned. (3) Forewarned is forearmed. (4) Four is an even number. (5) Four is certainly an odd number of arms for a man to have. (6) The only number that is both even and odd is infinity.

Therefore, Alexander the Great had an infinite number of arms.