Re: [FoundOnTheWeb] On Caning and Other Forms of Punishment.

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 23:11:11 PDT

Karl Anderson writes:

> I read that the brain can live for three seconds without blood. The
> shock probably precludes any pain during those three seconds, but
> imagine being aware of your missing body during that time...

Actually, EEG collapses after several 10 seconds at stopped blood flow
(up to half a minute). However, if the spinal cord is suddenly severed
through trauma, you'll be very likely immediately in state of
shock. Of course, no one has done EEG recordings on guillotinees, so
this is just guesstimate. I know for certain that rats to be
guillotined need to be anaesthesized/sedated according to animal
research regulations, so this indicates it is not entirely painless
(duh).