Re: Malevolence

From: cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 12:04:11 PDT

We used to talk about this a lot in the Honors Forum of this tiny
community college that somehow got some of the best teachers in the world
to come there. The question we always asked was:
If a program really does become sentient, what are its rights? Is
removing the program murder? What if the program decides it wants to do
something other than the task it was built for? etc. Of course, AI does
not imply sentience, as far as I'm aware. Has anyone heard of such? My
prof said there was rumor of something out at Los Alamos or someplace, a
program that asked its creator: "How many of there are you?" After the
programmer responded with the most currently approximated number of humans
on the planet, the program ran, stored the info, then asked, "How many of
me are there?" to which the programmer replied, "One." The program ran
for about 15 minutes or so, and then said, "Okay" or something. Is this
an urban legend? I think Discover Magazine or Omni was sourced, I'll have
to find out next time a strapping young man comes over who I can talk into
getting the rest of my books out of the attic. (:
Cindy